Thursday, August 11, 2011

more about childhood cancer...

I really do have some more lighthearted topics on my mind, but before I stray from childhood cancer for a bit, I want to call out two additional organizations that I believe are making a difference.  If you're so inclined, please check out their websites and get involved in any way you can.

Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation - created in honor of Alex Scott, a sweet little girl who lost her battle with cancer in 2004.  From the foundation's Facebook page: 

"Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation (ALSF) emerged from the front yard lemonade stand of cancer patient Alexandra “Alex” Scott (1996-2004). At the age of 4, Alex announced that she wanted to hold a lemonade stand to raise money to help find a cure for all children with cancer. Since Alex held that first stand, the Foundation bearing her name has evolved into a national fundraising movement, complete ...with thousands of volunteers across the country carrying on her legacy of hope. To date, Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation, a registered 501(c)3 charity, has raised over $45 million towards fulfilling Alex’s dream of finding a cure, funding over 200 research projects nationally.

Text message "LEMONADE" to 85944 to make a $10 donation to help fight childhood cancer."


Did you catch that part?  "...raised over 45 million towards fulfilling Alex's dream of finding a cure, funding over 200 research projects nationally."    WOW.  All from the simple premise of a lemonade stand!!

The other organization I want to mention is the MACC Fund - Midwest Athletes Against Childhood Cancer, Inc.  An excerpt from their Facebook page:

"The MACC Fund has contributed $33 million for pediatric cancer research thanks to the generosity and commitment of people who have taken the time to care for a child with cancer. This research impacts children throughout the country since the successful protocols become the standard for patient care everywhere."

I have personally been involved in a couple of recent fundraising events for this organization.  They are TOP.NOTCH.

And, look, I know everyone has their own "cause" that they feel strongly about.  I know that others are passionate about cystic fibrosis, down syndrome, the humane society, child abuse, and on and on.  I can appreciate that passion - it's exactly what I feel about childhood cancer awareness and research.  Thank you, THANK YOU for reading my messages.  Thank you.

1 comment: